Association of Open University Graduates





Manchester Cathedral

Stained Glass Window in Manchester Catherdral

News of AOUG in the North West (08)

Welcome | News | Diary Dates

Manchester Cathedral
It was a beautiful sunny morning when a group of AOUG enthusiasts met at the Coffee House opposite Manchester Cathedral. There is a lot of development around this area which came as a necessity due to the Manchester bombings. Fortunately the Cathedral that had suffered in World War II was spared by the more recent bombings.

The Cathedral, which is smaller than others I have visited, is an example of a late medieval collegiate church and this was a reflection of the significance of the town of Manchester as a regional centre by this time in history. The Cathedral stands North of the modern town centre built upon sandstone between the River Irwell and the River Irk. It dates back to 1421 but many parts were added at a later date. Our visit to the interior was at an unfortunate time as due to the preparation for a concert that was to be performed that same evening, a stage had been set up in the nave which obscured the visitors’ view of the full length of the Cathedral. However the group was able to enjoy a leisurely walk around.

There were many stained glass windows that had been added mostly at the beginning of the 19th Century. There was one special window known as the ‘Window of Fire’ which added to commemorate the Manchester bombing in the World War II. At the West end of the North Aisle was a free standing figure of Humphrey Chetham which was produced by W. Theed in 1853 and at the base of this statue is the information regarding Chetham’s bequest to found a blue coat school and a free library in the College of Priests which was completed between 1654 and 1658.
Margaret Stobirski

Executive Representative Marian Corns 01706 360986

Warrington Group Margaret Stobirski 01925 263161
Merseyside Group Glenys Hibbert 0151 928 3954